Karen Stomberg, FNSBSD Art Specialist
Students examine and discuss contemporary and traditional Yupik masks. Several typical mask elements are recognized and incorporated in a mask related to studentís life and interests.
Objectives and assessment criteria
- explore how masks have been made and used in traditional and contemporary Yupik life.
- consider how artists incorporate traditional ideas to make personal contemporary art.
- observe common features in old and new Yupik masks.
- create a mask with meaning to their own life, incorporating common elements of Yupik masks.
- present their mask to the class orally describing the personal meaning of the elements--storytelling.