Asian Bamboo Painting
Students discuss the meaning of tradition as applied to Chinese/Japanese painting and calligraphy. They practice brushstrokes using traditional tools, create paintings of bamboo, mount them scroll-style with patterned borders and finish them by stamping with a red signature chop.
Objectives and assessment criteria
- discuss meaning of tradition; consider the role of ancient, unbroken tradition in modern Asian life and art making.
- explore how Chinese calligraphy influenced painting in Japan and China.
- observe Asian paintings and discuss the scroll format, asymmetrical balance, the use of space and composition.
- practice with the tools and processes of bamboo brush painting.
- create a finished bamboo painting with a red signature chop and a patterned border.