Birds of Different Feathers
The class participates in tolerance activities to prompt discussions about 'different and alike.' Then they create their own birds of different feathers using oil pastels and construction paper. Students include a message which their birds are carrying to the world.
Objectives and assessment criteria
- participate in a tolerance activity and then discuss how it relates to them.
- analyze the saying "Birds of a feather flock together" by comparing it to a teaching tolerance poster.
- recognize the need for tolerance towards other people and appreciate their differences.
- design a bird of their own, making choices about color, shape and embellishment.
- write a tolerance message for the bird to carry in its beak.