Gesture Figure Drawing
Linda Pfisterer, Art Specialist
Students look at the gesture drawings of Daumier and practice drawing the human figure in action with ovals and triangles. The drawings are painted and collaged.
Objectives and assessment criteria
- find simple shapes such as the triangle and oval that are used to draw the human figure.
- observe how the artist Daumier used gesture drawing or scribble lines for the human figure.
- understand that the proportion of the adult human figure is measured by "heads high" (7 1/2 heads).
- practice drawing people in action with scribble/gesture lines.
- paint the gesture figure drawings to give them form, cut them out and make a collage of the figures.